Looking for the perfect prime rib to adorn your holiday table and give your celebration that special touch? Then this perfect prime rib recipe is for you. As you know I love meat but am not a chef by any means, so if I can tackle this crowned jewel successfully than so can you. Follow this step by step process with the aid of a trusted meat thermometer and your Prime rib will turn out beautiful every time.
Perfect Prime Rib Recipe
- 5 pound Mino Prime Rib Roast
- 1 large onion (Peeled & Quartered)
- 1 head of garlic
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 5 sprigs rosemary
Garlic Butter Ingredients
- 10 tbs unsalted butter (softened)
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Let your roast come to room temperature (take out 2 hours before
cooking).This step is so important for even cooking. Pat dry with
- Preheat oven to 460° (430° for convection) Make sure shelf is in
the middle of the oven.
- Mix together the ingredients for the garlic herb butter.
- Place onion, garlic and herbs in the bottom of a cast iron skillet or
- Slather on a thin layer of butter in the underside of the beef (bone
side). Place beef on top of onion and herbs, butter side down. Spread
²/3 of the butter in the top and sides reserving some for later.
- Roast for 20 minutes in the hot oven.
- Remove and slather with the remaining butter. Turn oven down to 250°.
- Slow roast for 1 hour, basting every 30 minutes until internal temp
is 118° in the center (start checking internal temp early). Make
sure you don’t pull your roast out at 125° or you will have a medium
well piece of meat (nobody wants that!).
- Transfer the beef to a cutting board or plate and cover loosely with
foil and rest for 20-30 minutes. Internal temp will rise to 125°
(medium rare). Do not skip the resting phase. The resting phase
allows the juices to redistribute in the meat and it will continue to
cook while resting.